intake/exhaust swap

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: intake/exhaust swap
From: HD883HUGGR@aol.com
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 13:03:45 EDT
Hi Spitphiles.  Again I must apologize for the voice of mechanical ignorance
cluttering the List, but "that's what friends are for", I guess...
    I have a Weber downdraft on a Cannon intake that I got with my parts car,
along with a brand new header & used monza exhaust.  Since I don't know
anything about Webers, I figured I'd either have my mechanic install & tune
it or just show up on Joe's doorstep one day.  On the other hand, the header
& exhaust don't appear to be beyond my ability.  But appearances can be
deceiving, so thought I'd ask for some advice:
    (1) Is it just a matter of hitting the studs with WD40, pulling off the
T-bolt thingies, removing exhaust manifold & gasket, slapping the new gasket
in place, and bolting on the header?
    (2) If so, does the metal side of the gasket face the engine or the
header?
    (3) What is the possibility of the intake manifold falling off at the
same time?
    (4) Can I re-tighten the bolts with just an enthusiastic tug, or do I
need a torque wrench?
    (5) Would it be wiser to be patient and do both the intake/carb swap and
the header/exhaust swap at the same time?
    Thanks for your advice, since I'm confident that I'd regret any decision
I make without it!  Scott (& Hobbs, 1977 Spitfire, daily driver)