Newbie questions

To: "Dean Dashwood" <DDashwood@softwright.co.uk>,
Subject: Newbie questions
From: "Ali Mohempour" <ali@ucla.edu>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 10:03:04 -0700
Hi everyone,
I'm new to the list...in fact I'm a proud new owner of a '79 Spitfire 1500
(first non-japanese car I owned ever!)
The door jam says '78 but the title and paper work says '79.  It does come
with those nice chrome bumpers though, which I've been told were replaced by
rubber ones in '79.  So could this be an early '79?  It has 50K on it, and
has been sitting in a garage for couple of years.  Starts, but rough idle.

Anyways, here are my real concerns:

1.  The radiator is dead!  what should I do replace it with a new one or
recore it? There seems to be some clear jelly like stuff stuck to the lower
part of it, kinda like a temporary seal.

2.  There is gas in the tank, but after 2 years of sitting what should I do,
take the tank out, and clean it?

3.  The battery box (need I say more!) what should I do? where do I get
replacement?

4.  The body and frame are rust free but there is some in the front where
the washer bottle and stuff sits (I call it the ledge).  Also some surface
rust in the driver side food area.  Whats the cheapest way to fix it up?

I'll have many more questions later.  The main thing is that I'm on a
student budget and I really want to drive the car, and don't care if my
chassis is power coated or my exhause system is fully chromed (who can see
that anyways).  Please help me since I know nothing about these cars.  It's
kinda sad that I know how to modify the ECU in hondas and mess around with
the ignition system, but look like an idiot in fron of a carbeurator
(spell?).

Thank you all.

Ali