Re: Further Info on my Spitfire height problem

To: "Bradley D. Richardson" <brichard@us.oracle.com>,
Subject: Re: Further Info on my Spitfire height problem
From: "Jonathan Miles" <jem@clara.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 21:45:35 +0100
Brad,

I fully sympathise with you on this one having been down the exact same
route.  When I bought my Spit 1500 it had a lean to the right which I
reckoned was just a worn spring. To cut a very long story short, over time I
replaced all springs, dampers, Anti-roll bar etc with new.  Still no effect.
It was then that I discovered that the chassis was twisted.  Having looked
at a few second hand chassis to find a replacement for mine, it seems that
this is a fairly common problem.  I replaced the chassis only to find that
because new sills had been fitted by the PO to the body tub on the twisted
chassis, this caused the new chassis to twist aswell (although to a lesser
extent).  The solution was to cut off the sills and weld in new ones with
the tub on the new chassis and the steel hard top fitted to keep alignment.
Lets hope that your problem is caused by the drive shafts!

Good luck,

Jonathan

'77 Spitfire 1500  (finally back on the road!)