Further Info on my Spitfire height problem

To: Triumph Spitfire Mail List <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Further Info on my Spitfire height problem
From: "Bradley D. Richardson" <brichard@us.oracle.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 21:12:44 -0700
First, thanks to Andy Mace, Mike Burdick, John Reynolds, Mark
Robertson,  Reid Simmons, James Carpenter and Bob Sykes (I hope I didn't
forget anyone) for their excellent suggestions regarding my Spitfire
having a height problem.

I jacked up the front and rear seperately, as recommended, and in both
cases, when I jacked up either evenly, it partially corrected the level
problem on the other end of the car, but in neither case did it fully
correct it.  I've taken off the anti-roll bar, laid it out on flat
ground, and it appears to be almost perfectly straight.  I can't find
any parts on the front end that are different sizes on one side in
relation to the other side.  Inspected the rear, and the rear spring is
indeed new, but who's to say it's 'right'.  All the rear parts are the
same size/length, EXCEPT the axle shafts.  The drivers side shaft is 1/2
MM longer than the passengers side shaft.

So, this could be the problem, but it doesn't make sense to me why such
a little length difference would cause such a big difference in the rear
heights.  The passenger rear sits almost 2 inches higher than the
drivers side.

I was able to get the rear to about 1/2 inch difference when I installed
some temp 'spacers' on the drivers side front spring, which by the way
got the front to sit level within 1/16 of an inch.

So, unless someone else has an idea, I thought I'd take one of the axle
shafts off my other 'parts' 79 spitfire, and put it on the good one.
I've measured them, and on the 'parts' spitfire, both are the same
length, which happens to be the same length as the 'shorter' axle on the
good spitfire.  My only concern is if I'm supposed to have the longer
axles, or the shorter axles, but at least this would have the same size
on both sides.

Brad