Back on the Road

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Back on the Road
From: "R.D. Waid" <msp01091@isd.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 17:02:02 -0500
Phellow Spitphiles,

I'm delighted to be back on the road after 6 weeks of puzzling over carburetion
and timing with the 71 Mark IV. I have rebuilt my SUs (turned out to be
incredibly simple) with a "Royze" brand (US made) kit from TRF. (They have their
own website at www.royze.com, don't know if they sell direct). The car has never
had so much power. I found a lot of miscellaneous loose nuts on manifolds and
carbs which weren't helping matters. I also found that a dwell tach was
indispensable to get the last little bit of improvement from all the new parts.

I bought tuneup parts from NAPA- points, rotor, cap, and condensor. They listed
parts for a "Delco" distributor and a "Turbo" Spitfire?!! The Turbo reference
showed up in both the computer and print listings.

Despite the fact that the picture of the distributor in my manuals did not look
at all like the Delco and the cap said "Lucas", it was the Delco parts that fit;
here are the part numbers for future reference (all NAPA Echlin).  Atuneup kit I
ordered from TRF has been on backorder for at least 6 weeks (but in general, I
like TRF), these parts were in stock at the local store.
Cap RR145
Condensor RR174
Points CS777A
Rotor RR83

Bob Waid
71 Mark IV FK4081L
"Thrilled to be leaking oil on public roads again"