some carb questions

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: some carb questions
From: Glenn Trunnell <trunnell@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 14:12:01 -0400
Hi everybody,

I have a few Stromberg questions and I hope maybe some body can help.  I am
making one last attempt to get my '76 running halfway decently before I
switch to the weber.  I have recently rebuilt my motor approx. 1000 mi,
ago, new cam, new ignition system including ็rane XR 700 and MSD multi
spark discharge system, new plug wires and high output coil.  My carb was
rebuilt by apple hydraulics and I have attempted many times to find vacuum
leaks without success.  The car still idles like crap with a miss that can
only be cured by adjusting the needle until it is totally rich.  I did
notice however that when I have the adjusting tool inserted into the top of
the piston that the weight forcing the piston down evens out the idle.  I
have replaced the spring, but am considering going to a heavier spring (8
oz.)  that is used in the SU HS4 carbs.  Has anyone done this?  The
triumphtune manual mentions replacing the needles and springs in SU carbs
whenever the engine is tuned to allow more airflow such as a freer flowing
exhaust and low restriction air cleaner I thought that maybe the same
approach would work with the ZS.  Any ideas, thoughs, advice or wild ass
guesses welcome.

Thanks,
Glenn