Re: 79 spitfire, height problem

To: spitfires@autox.team.net, brichard@us.oracle.com
Subject: Re: 79 spitfire, height problem
From: mrobertson@celcorp.com
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 16:18:58 -0600
Hi,

I don't know if this is 100% accurate, but I believe Triumph added spacers
between the spring towers and the springs on some cars to compensate for
stocks of short springs they recieved from some suppliers... Maybe your
replacement front springs were the shorter ones...

My '69 GT6+ had no spacers, but my '70 GT6+ parts car did. The spacers were
about .250" thick cast aluminum, with pizza-slice shaped holes.

Mark Robertson
mroberts@celcorp.com

Brad,
I had the same problem with my 79.After replacing all of
the springs, trunnions, bushings et al., the problem still
remained. After about a month in the chassis shop I still
had the same problem. Finally, I spoke to a knowledgeable
Spitfire owner at the VTR Regionals in Austin, Texas and he
pointed me to the front spring towers. I designed a 1/2"
shim to go between the spring tower and the spring, had it
machined and presto the problem was solved. I have a sketch
if you need it and I believe I have a spare shim somewhere.
Look at the tower before you replace a lot of good parts.
You can simulate the effect of the shim by jacking up the
drivers side, when you do the back end will level out.
                                   Good Luck,
                                   John Reynolds
79 Spitfire FM966640
68 BSA Spitfire A65SA16748