Re: 79 spitfire, height problem

To: "Bradley D. Richardson" <brichard@us.oracle.com>
Subject: Re: 79 spitfire, height problem
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 14:39:30 -0400 ()
On Fri, 23 Jul 1999, Bradley D. Richardson wrote:

> I have a 1979 spitfire, in remarkable shape.  However, we have noticed
> that it doesn't sit level.  It has new shocks, and a new rear spring.
> The tires and wheels are the same size.
>
> The passenger side of the car sits higher than the drivers side.  The
> passenger side front is about 1/2 inch higher than the drivers side
> front.  The passenger side rear is about 2 inches higher than the
> drivers side rear.
>
> Anyone out there have any thoughts on what's wrong, and how to fix it?

First, let's hope the new rear spring indeed was new and was correctly
made. (Worn rear springs are the usual cause of this in later Spitfires.)
It might be worn mounting bushes in the differential. It might be
damaged/poorly repaired differential mounts. It might be frame and/or body
damage (ouch).  It might be worn trunnion bushes in one or both rear
vertical links. It might even be an incorrect, shorter (earlier Spitfire)
axle fitted to one side.

Lots of guesses....

--Andy