Re: machine shops

To: PABowen@sar.med.navy.mil, spitfires@autox.team.net, PBowen9685@aol.com
Subject: Re: machine shops
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 10:22:00 EDT
In a message dated 7/21/99 3:17:28 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
PABowen@sar.med.navy.mil writes:

> I was referred to this place so I gave them a chance.  I asked about hot
>  tanking and they told me they blast the blocks and that hot tanking or
>  baking was unnecessary, how effective is this?

Patrick,

It is my understanding that EPA regulations have just about done away with
hot tanking. I have had engines baked and blasted, and have been very
satisfied with the results. I don't think I would be happy with just blasting
without the baking. At my prefered shop, they put the engine in a
rotessiere/oven/blaster and rotate it as they blast and bake, but even then,
the blasting medium doesn't get into all the crevices, so the baking is
needed.

One thing to keep in mind when you get your engine back - you will be finding
beads in your engine for a long time, so be sure to clean them out real good
before reassembling the engine.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

                    http://members.aol.com/danmas/