Spitfire 5 speed conversions

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Spitfire 5 speed conversions
From: "tr6" <tr6@mail.icongrp.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 10:57:57 -0500
Listers:
   Well, that post sure did liven things up!  For those who asked, the url
for the company doing the conversion is www.conversioncomp.co.nz  They have
been the subject of some discussion on the main triumphs list over the years
because of the Supra conversion for TR-6's, although I don't remember anyone
posting who had actually done one.
   I really don't have a preference for a 5 speed over OD.  Here is my
situation, I sold my 1969 TR-6 about a month ago with the intention of
picking up a Series IIA or III Land Rover of equal value.  This would be my
everyday driver during the winter so I don't have to drive the 944 Turbo.
The Landie is British, requires tinkering, etc. Well, I'm on lbc withdrawal
and now think that a Spit and some other type of small 4X4 might be the way
to go.  I posted to this list and received some very helpful info, but
decided that since I live in the Midwest, two things are going to be
required on any Spit I look at.  One, OD and two, a factory hardtop.  I have
to be able to cruise on the straight, flat Interstates that exist around
here and the hardtop would really extend the use of the car, well into the
fall.  That really limits the number of cars available, soooooo, I started
looking into the 5 speed conversion.  If list members tell me that adding OD
to a non-OD is no less expensive then this 5 speed kit, then the kit looks
less attractive.  FWIW, the Spridgets have a number of these conversion kits
available, both Toyota and Datsum.  Again, my thinking is that by having the
5 speed option, it greatly increases the number of cars available.  i.e. do
I buy a great car without OD or a not as great car with OD?
   Anyway, I'm going to e-mail them my address and get more info.  I'll keep
the list informed, if there are those interested.
    Don Emery
    w/o lbc--for now