Re: Chassis Repair

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Chassis Repair
From: "Tod Jones" <todjones@rica.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 02:22:20 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: Victor B. Michael <vmichael@enteract.com>
To: spitfires@autox.team.net <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Date: Monday, July 05, 1999 8:40 AM
Subject: Chassis Repair

>Hello again list.
>
>I couldn't keep away. ;)  I tried sending this message earlier with a
>GIF attachment and I haven't seen it yet. I also posted to another list.
>So, if you see two postings, I apologize.
>
>I'd like to ask your opinions on my next project.
>
>I have to repair the front crossmember on my '77 Spit because of a front
>end collision that occurred before I bought the car.  Also because of
>the collision, the PO had replaced the bonnet with a Pimento Red junker
>that could be bent into alignment with the now dinged up hinge
>boxes on the crossmember. I now have a parts car which has a good front
>end and bonnet and would like to use the crossmember and hinge boxes and
>the bonnet. The parts car is green and the car I'm fixing is Carmine
>Red.  My questions are related to chopping and welding of the chassis
>and what to do about the paint color.
>
>Chassis:
>
>    []         []
>====[]=========[]====
>    \| ||   || |/ \____ CUT A
>     \\||   ||//
>      \ |   | /
>       ||   ||
>       --   --  <---CUT B
>       ||   ||

>What approach should I take with the removal of the front crossmember
>(on both chassis')? I think my choices are this;
>
>CUT A:  Try and remove the front crossmember at the weld,carefully
>preserving the front crossmember and hinge boxes on the GOOD parts.
>
>CUT B:  Cut somewhere along the main chassis beams on both and butt-weld
>
>them together, adding a plate to the beam at the weld.
>
>NEW CHASSIS: I don't think this job is big enough to warrant that. Not
>considering it.
>
>I would prefer CUT A for two reasons...estetics and not compromising the
>stability of the main chassis BUT is this even possible? Can I carefully
>remove the weld with damaging the front crossmember? I saw it done in
>one of my restoration books, this very procedure but they were replacing
>the front crossmember with a new one.
>
>I would also like to hear recommendations for cutting tools/drill
>attachments if you have any.
>
>Paint:
>
>Before putting the new GREEN bonnet on my Carmine Red Spit, should I
>have a paint shop work on the bonnet and can they match the color
>reasonably well? Even with a "worn out" color? Opinions?  What would you
>do?
>
>I would really appreciate your opinions on these two things!
>
>Thanks!
>
>Vic

I did this to get a good frame for my 66 witch has a different mount for the
bonnet. I used "cut A" and it was simple. just make shure that you realign
it carfully. I might even still have the crossmember I cut off of the 77, if
you are interested I will look in my basement tomorrow.

Tod Jones
66 Spit   finally back in the driveway (but not drivable)
77 Spit   parts car for the 66