Re: Adjusting SUs

To: spitlist@gte.net
Subject: Re: Adjusting SUs
From: "R.D. Waid" <msp01091@isd.net>
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 1999 14:05:11 -0500

----------
>From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
>To: "R.D. Waid" <msp01091@isd.net>
>Subject: Re: Adjusting SUs
>Date: Sun, Jul 4, 1999, 5:15 PM
>

>Haynes says that after getting the jet centered and the top flush with
>the deck, back it off 2 complete turns.  That has always worked for me

Joe, are you saying the 2 turns backed off are about the correct setting for
mixture, with minimal further adjustmant needed? If so, it appears that my carbs
are way out of whack.

>Have you checked the filters to see if they are not restricting air
>flow?

The filters are just stock replacements from TRF- nothing fancy. After changing
them, car ran excessively lean (old ones were very dirty). Car always idled
poorly below 1500 rpm, so I checked inlet sound w/o filters. I found that the
front carb was doing nothing at idle, so I followed procedures to equalize, etc.
That's when I got into never-never land. I spent some time this afternoon with
the filters on, circling the block, trying to tune the carbs in place.
Rear carb has the jet screwed almost all the way rich, front somewhat leaner,
and car is marginally driveable. Great idle, though.

Thanks for your interest and advice.

Bob Waid
Spitfire Mk IV, FK4081L.