Re: 1980 'Spit-6 conversion' DIRT CHEAP!

To: wizardz <wizardz@toad.net>
Subject: Re: 1980 'Spit-6 conversion' DIRT CHEAP!
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 1999 12:59:09 -0400 (EDT)
On Sun, 4 Jul 1999, wizardz wrote:

> I have a very good chance of picking up a driveable Spit-6. for dirt cheap.
> ...and I mean DIRT CHEAP!
> Yeah there is some rust, but not in any critical or even very visible
> places.
> I believe it's a 1970 GT6 chassis with a '74 Spit body on it. The
> original builder did a superb job, and sold it to a friend of mine last
> summer
> for next to nothing just to clean out his garage.
>
> My 1980 is nearly 98% rust free. VERY VERY good condition.
> The frame is still shiny paint with ZERO rust.
>
> My Questions to the list:
> I'm planning on mixing the best of both to re-create a new Spit-6.

Why kill off a perfectly good, clean '80? Why not fix what needs fixing
on the Spit-6?

> Q1: WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE IN THE TWO TRANNY'S?
> My '80 is O/D and I'd like to use it in the Spit-6.

Your Spit gearbox might be useable if you could find a clutch disc with
the right splines, but you'd probably find the lower ratios would become
stump pullers with the 6. Best to stick with a GT6 gearbox with its much
more suitable ratios.

> Q2: HOW ABOUT THE REAR ENDS? DIFFERENCES IN MOUNTING? STRENGTHS?

Similar enough; just possible the '80 is even stronger than the original
GT6 diff. But again, ratios are a question here. You don't really want a
3.89:1 with the six unless you can gat an OD gearbox in front of it. (AT
least I wouldn't want to sacrifice comfortable higher-speed cruising for
the slight benefit to acceleration of the 3.89 over the 3.27 of the GT.)

> Q3: I know I can weld in the upper shock mounts for the rear shocks into
> the wheel arches of the '80 tub (to dup. the 6 setup)
> WHERE DO I GET THE BRACKETS?

Brackets I think are available from Kipping and/or Rimmers in the UK, and
there is an alternative style of bolt-in bracket available as well (bolts
to original upper shock mount, I think).

> Q4: ANYONE HAVE A GOOD 6 BONNET WITHOUT MUCH RUST?
> I like the smooth curves of the Spit bonnet better and would love to stay
> smooth
> but I know this is impossible.

A good 6 bonnet without rust? Sure. Buy new from Heritage-approved
supplier of same and spend lots of money. Otherwise, prepare to be very
patient waiting to find a decent 6 bonnet.

> With the laid down radiator of the late model (1979-80) I know I have plenty
> of room
> to drop in the 6 cylinder.
> Q5: ANYONE THINK OF ANY OTHER MAJOR PROBLEMS I MIGHT ENCOUNTER?

Nothing too serious. But I still think you're better off starting with
AND ending up with two cars. Alternatively, if your '80 is really that
nice, sell it and put the money into the Spit 6. Just a thought....

--Andy

  * Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?                                  *
  * Man: Well, no... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,   *
  *  Triumph Herald engine with wings.                                *
  *   -- The Cut-price Airline Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   *