Re: my turn to ask for help

To: "Donald H. Locker" <dhl@mrdog.msl.com>
Subject: Re: my turn to ask for help
From: Fred Griffiths <griffco@mail.cadvision.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 1999 08:16:18 -0600
Donald H. Locker wrote:
> It is a Federal '69 Spit.  What I look at when I sit in the driver's
> seat (steering wheel not included for clarity :) is like this:
> \       2       ___     3     ___        \\   ==car screen===cold==hot=    /
> \       o     (     )   Z   (     )       \\  O                      O    /
> \            ( tach  )     ( speedo)       \\ 5           6          7   /
> \             (     )       (     )         \\   temp     H     fuel    /
>  \    1         ---           ---      4     \\  gage     W     gage   /
>   \   O              |--|              O      \\                      /
>    \_________________|  |______________________\\____________________/
>
> Hmmmm.  Well, please use your imagination.

What you got there is the standard MK IV (continued to early 1500) dashboard.

Item 1 is the windshield wiper/washer knob/pump (manual of course)
Item 2 is the signal light indicator - green as you said.
Item 4 is the choke hole.

Now, the ignition switch was mounted on the steering column, down by your knees
or
ankles depending on leg length.

It had a built in lock mechanism, and a padded dash around it.  If it has been
broken
off, or removed by drilling out the anti-tamper bolts, the PO might have
installed a
separate non-locking key switch on a metal plate somewhere.
        Mine has such a set up, so I made metal bracket, padded it with stiff
foam and
covered it with vinyl and screwed it up to the parcel tray support just right
of the
steering column,just left of the dash support.  It hides where the broken
ignition
switch/lock was.

Cheers, Fred
--