Re: my turn to ask for help

To: amace@unix2.nysed.gov, spitlist@gte.net
Subject: Re: my turn to ask for help
From: "Donald H. Locker" <dhl@mrdog.msl.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 1999 00:49:20 -0400
Hi, Joe, John and Andy.

Thanks for the [...rageously] quick response.

I thought I had misremembered when the PO told me it was a 948 cc
motor; I only really know about 1147, 1296 and "1500" things.  He said
it was prepped (for racing?) and should give a good ride.  I'll see
when I get it running.  But I don't want to crank it until I find out
why is feels so tight.  I can barely bar it over by hand; I rotated it
about 15 degrees by the rolling in 4th after installing the
driveshaft, but I don't like it.

It is a Federal '69 Spit.  What I look at when I sit in the driver's
seat (steering wheel not included for clarity :) is like this:
\       2       ___     3     ___        \\   ==car screen===cold==hot=    /
\       o     (     )   Z   (     )       \\  O                      O    /
\            ( tach  )     ( speedo)       \\ 5           6          7   /
\             (     )       (     )         \\   temp     H     fuel    /
 \    1         ---           ---      4     \\  gage     W     gage   /
  \   O              |--|              O      \\                      /
   \_________________|  |______________________\\____________________/

Hmmmm.  Well, please use your imagination.

Item 1 sure looks like it wants to be an ignition switch hole.  15/16
inch diameter with a keyway facing upward in the attached backup piece
of sheet metal.  Sound right?  But the switch I have ... dang where
did I leave that.  OK.  has a 3/4 inch diameter mount, with a flat and
that four-toothed washer to grip the back of the IP.  the backup sheet
metal won't allow the washer to grip.  It's just not right!

Item 2 is a little green or red lamp lens that is held in place by a
tubular lamp holder begind the panel into which the lens screws.  I am
guessing turn signal indicator.

3 is the hazard flasher switch.  Right where I remember it to be.

4 is another hole; my guess is choke.  I think that was what you were
saying, Andy, but there is no ignition switch hole nearby.  No more
holes at all except for one screw hole for fitment.

5 is the Hazard light (as indicated by the text beneath it); 6 is the
lamps switch, right where it ought to be; 7 is the Brake light.

I did receive another piece of instrument panel that has a few holes
and fits below the panel pieces above.  I haven't studied that in too
much detail yet though.  Of course, now I've moved it and didn't
record that in my inventory, so ...

Thanks for the words about the intake and exhaust fit.  I'll see how
much better this looks in the hot light of day and halogen lamps.

As far as passing on the Y motor, I live in Southeast Michigan; if I
get the FE engine back together, you all will hear about it.  (And
Andy can have right of first refusal on the 948.)

Donald.
[trying to understand and assemble his Frankenspit]