Re: Early Spitfire Hood bags

To: "ralph.jannelli" <ralph.jannelli@cwix.com>,
Subject: Re: Early Spitfire Hood bags
From: Phil Johnson <gt6_man@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 1999 00:46:32 +0100 (BST)

--- "ralph.jannelli" <ralph.jannelli@cwix.com> wrote:

> Do any of you "Spit persons" have any knowledge of
> the Hood Bags which were
> options for early Spitfires (MKI & MKII)..
> I have never seen
> one in person and have not been able to find a
> suppler who carries them.

I too went looking for a hood bag, but they are rarer
than a rare load of rare things. I don't think that
you will ever find one, I haven't. From what I can
gather from parts books descriptions, it was nothing
more than a polythene bag that is just larger than the
folded hood (part number 706831).

> recently received a flyer from a friend and fellow
> Triumph enthusiast who is
> making and selling among other things Hood bags for
> TR2/3/3A/4/4A (and I
> assume 3B's as well although he does not list them
> in his brochure). Could
> these be the same? Seems like if the TR hood would
> fit the Spitfire hood
> should fit as well.

The parts book does not cross reference it to any of
these models, but then it would only need to be
marginally different to get a different part number.
What he is probably doing is making up bags in hood
material. It is a similar path to what I took, as
obviously the hood material is a little more
hardwaring than polythene. I got a local trimmers to
make a bag just larger than the folded hood, that way
I knew it would fit. It only cost me about 10 UKP, and
has helped prevent damage to the hood from storage.

===
Phil Johnson
Club Triumph (UK) Spitfire/GT6 Secretary
http://www.club.triumph.org.uk/

66 Spitfire4 Mk2 FC73949
68 GT6 Mk1 KC13299