RE: Starting with clutch engaged helps thrust washers?

To: Michael Burdick <burdick@abacus.mc.duke.edu>
Subject: RE: Starting with clutch engaged helps thrust washers?
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 17:18:11 -0400 ()

On Thu, 17 Jun 1999, Michael Burdick wrote:

> Hi Joe - let me respectfully say "I'm not so sure about that".  The force
> pushing against the thrust washers when the clutch is disengaged is not
> insignificant (the clutch pedal is a pretty good lever arm), and the
> application of this force very often occurs after the oil has had plenty
> of time to drain back into the pan.  A high load with minimal lubrication
> could very well lead to premature wear....

True, but isn't that same relative lack of lubrication true throughout the
engine, i.e., bearings, cylinder walls/rings, etc.? Meanwhile, the age-old
philosophy of depressing the clutch was to eliminate the drag of the
gearbox, right? So sacrifice one part to save another.

Me? I suspect I'd worry more about holding the clutch in all the time at
red lights and stop signs (which I admit I still do all the time for other
safety-related and long-ingrained-in-me-by-dad-and/or-safety-experts) and
the wear that causes! :-)

--Andy