Re: Paint

To: Marc & Fred <spit1500@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Paint
From: Dave Chu <dave@ece.concordia.ca>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 13:33:44 -0400

In message <19990617162358.53904.qmail@hotmail.com>you write:

>Dear listers,
>            Me and my girlfriend just purchased a 1976 spitfire 1500.  We
>wanted a car the was n relativly good shape and that we could drive arround
>on sunny days.  We had decided that we would enjoy the car and not spend too

   Hello fellow Montreal Spit owner, congradulations on your new purchase.

>much time or money on repairs (proper maintenance but not repairs).  We have
>had the car for 2 months now and I almost prefer  fixing it rather then
>driving it.  I'm very lucky to have my best friend who is an excellent auto

   Yes, the Spit is much easier to work on then most modern cars.  Also, It
   nice to work on a relatively rust free car then on a regular car that is
   driven all year round in Montreal.

>mechanic at a local dealer. He is very well equiped but it's his natural
>talent that makes him such an assest(sucking up because i know he reads from
>the list). I don't do any work unless he's around.  And trust me when I say
>that i'm spending more time with him then ever.

   I find working on ones car with a friend is best, it help one from make
   stupid decisions like taking a hammer to a part that won't come off.

>Is it worth preserving the original paint? I would gladly have the car
>sandblasted and repainted but I hate to loose the original paint.

   You should keep the original colour unless you plan to do a frame off
   restoration.  If you change the colour, everytime you open the boot or
   bonnet you will see the old colour.

>If anyone knows any good bodyshops in montreal or area I would love to know.

  Can't help you much about the painting material.  If most of the rust spots
  on your car are surface rust they can be fix by simple sanding and touch
  up.  You can do most of that work yourself and have the car painted at one
  of thoese place that offer paint jobs for around $300.  The result can be
  very nice if you do all the prep work yourself and they drive the car over
  to have it painted.

Dave                                                  |\ |     | |
Dave Chu                                 \/  \/       | /|     | |
Dept. of Elec. & Comp. Eng.                           |/ |     | |
Concordia University              Voice:(514)848-3115   Fax:(514)848-2802
1455 de Maisonneuve W. H961       Email:dave@ece.concordia.ca
Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3G 1M8  http://www.ece.concordia.ca/~dave/addr.html