Air Pump

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Air Pump
From: Paul Grafelman <pdgrafelman@vax1.bemidji.msus.edu>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 13:29:12 -0500
Hi all. Just picked up my first Spitfire last week. It's a 77 with only
28000 original miles. Stored for 14 years. Even the engine block is still
black and rust free (Under the dirt). After reading discussons about the
air pumps, I disconnected mine (First just the belt). There was a noticible
improvement in power and a more consistant idle, I assume from lightening
the load on the engine. Also, the "popping" sounds are gone when
downshifting. Today I removed the pump altogether, along with the line
running to (from?) the exhaust manifold. I then plugged the hole in the
manifold with a bolt. Everything seems to be running fine. Now if only it
would stop raining...

Paul Grafelman
pdgrafelman@vax1.bemidji.msus.edu