Duh! stupid, stupid, stupid!

To: spitfires@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Duh! stupid, stupid, stupid!
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 19:43:15 EDT
Listers,

I got the engine in my TR6 back together just in time for the May 1st
Townsend show. It didn't seem to have the power it used to have, although it
was still quite peppy. More like a stock TR6 than the slightly modified
version it used to be. Time kept me from doing anything about it prior to the
trip to Illinois last week. All the way up and back, it just didn't seem
right -- running strong at partial throttle, but just a tad slow at WOT. I
was a little bit disappointed (well, a lot disappointed) with the times I
turned in on the dragstrip -- 73 mph, equal to a stock TR6. I thought it was
just me, and I just wasn't remembering correctly. You know the routine - the
older I get, the better I was.

Well, this afternoon, I was going back over the engine, retorquing headbolts,
etc, when I decided to take a look at the throttle linkage. DUH!  It was out
of adjustment so that I was getting significantly less than full throttle
opening. I'll let you know tomorrow how it feels with full throttle.

Dan Masters (with a red face),
Alcoa, TN

                    http://members.aol.com/danmas/
'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74