Re: One more reason to Love Spitfires

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: One more reason to Love Spitfires
From: David Gates <dgates@lava.net>
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 08:51:55 -1000
Joe,

Your lucky.  On my 1985 Toyota Van I can only "see" one of my spark plugs.
The other three I have to do by feel.  You see its a mid engine.  Both
front seats are on top of the engine compartment.  The drivers seat pivots
up to expose about 1/4 of the engine, the plugs are on the other side.  To
access them you have to remove a small panel under the carpet behind the
passenger seat.  Of coarse you can always get better access by removing the
shifter, emergency brake, pass seat belt, pass seat, and about 15 bolts.
Then a larger panel below the pass seat will come off for good access to
the pass side of the engine.  Good is a relative thing.

This van has been a super TSV and very reliable (196,000 miles), But I
really dread working on it.  For example, now it has a problem of leaking
radiator fluid out the tail pipe.  Sounds like a bad head gasket.  But
there is no way I am going to even try to replace a head gasket on this
van.  I'll send it to the junk yard first.  On the spitfire I would just
dive in and go for it.

David Gates
Hawaii