Air-fuel mixture guage

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Air-fuel mixture guage
From: Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou <dougbert@rcn.com>
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 20:58:40 -0500
>This is the response I received from Force EFI regarding their digital
>mixture gauge.  While I won't be purchasing within the next month,  I'd like
>to get this.  THe engine must really RUN betore I retune the carb.  If
>anyone is interested in these,  maybe we can purchase as a group and get a
>discount.
>
>The web site is here:  http://force-efi.com/cyber.htm and they're cyberdyne
>gauges.  Of course,  if anyone has a cheaper source,  or knows of better
>gauges for similar cost....

I get the impression that the guage is really just a voltmeter that measures
the output
of the oxygen sensor.

I had been wondering about this in the past:  If I wanted to check mixture,
couldn't I
simply install pretty much any (i.e. inexpensive) oxygen sensor in my manifold,
and
hook up a voltmeter whenever I wanted to check or adjust the mixture?  The
things I do not know are:

1: What sort of electrical load does the sensor want to have?
2: How is the output voltage interpreted?

If anybody knows this sort of stuff, please tell me about it!

Doug Braun
72 Spit