Re: Spitfire compression

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Spitfire compression
From: Bill Kelly <kelly@dss.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 11:20:32 -0400
Ray Bryant wrote:

> Here are the results:
> #1 - 118 pounds
> #2 - 90 pounds
> #3 - 78 pounds
> #4 - 117 pounds
> This was done with the distributor center wire disconected so that it would
> not start.
> Was this the correct way to test?

Yes, though it's probably better to disconnect the wire from the coil to
the distributor. Same effect, though.

> Are these pressures OK or should they be different?

They should be different. The 2 middle cylinders are definitely LOW. My
Herald periodically (every 25K or so) lapses into this pattern - #2 down
a bit, #3 down a lot. The cause in my case is burnt exhaust valves.
There's something about the cooling in the 1147...

What motor do you have?

Bill Kelly