Re: Spitfire performance

To: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@cs.utah.edu>
Subject: Re: Spitfire performance
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 08:56:39 -0700
Mark J Bradakis wrote:

> Now, on to Spitfires.  Someone brought up the old chestnut about 1 bhp per
> cubic inch of displacement equates to a sporting motor.  That is a tad dated.

Yes, by todays standards, that is dated.  But then so are the cars we
are describing.

I apply the "rule of thumb" because it was applicable when the cars were
new.  And like you say, few among us can afford the tricks to make it
above that mark (pun intended).

The questions stems from claims of 125 hp from a California 1500
engine.  I am unable to extract enough logic to determine how this could
possibly be accomplished on a street machine, while still being able to
get the car through the emissions testing.

Any clues?

Joe

  -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer