Re: MK IV tail light area

To: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Subject: Re: MK IV tail light area
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 07:00:38 -0700
At 09:39 AM 6/8/98 -0400, you wrote:
>On Mon, 8 Jun 1998, Sam Gentry wrote:
>
>> Recently we discussed the black taillight area on a Sit Mk IV.  I should
>> have paid a little more attention.  Now that painting time is near, I can't
>> remember two things (1) was this done in all MK IV's or just the earlier
>> 71's?  (2) was the paint flat or gloss black?
>
>Sam, it was for the '72 model year (perhaps only for the U.S. market?). As
>I recall, the paint was sort of a satin-finish black. Meanwhile, I'm not
>sure I can tell you whether any of the black was intended for that lower
>edge of the trunk lid, but I do have the remains of a '72 rear tub, still
>in its original livery.
************************************
Andy-
I can save you a trip.  The rear trunk lid area under the trim piece is
painted.  The entire area that is surrounded by the chrome and stainless
trim (and the trim is chrome and not black as on later models as you
already know) is painted and yes it is a satin or matt black.  even a small
area of the "rain gutter" or drainage channel is masked off and painted
black.  If anyone needs the details I can look at mine, which is one of the
few areas of the car that is still original, including the paint!

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire