rear brake shoes and adjustments

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: rear brake shoes and adjustments
From: jak0pab@jak10.med.navy.mil (Bowen, Patrick A)
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 1998 07:50:17
Greetings,

Got some questions for you,  My brakes seem to have gotten a little soft on
my '79 Spit.  If I press down on the they are soft but if I slightly let go
and repress they are rock solid.  I replaced the rear shoes about a month
ago and I know the front are in good shape.  I am not losing fluid, and I
did a real good break bleed.  I am assuming that my rear brakes have worn
down and need to be adjusted out, and that it is taking the two pumps of
the pedal to push the cylinder out the whole way.   Does this sound
logical, what is your take on this?  How do you know when to adjust these
out, is there a rule of thumb, and has anybody ever found metallic or
semi-metallic shoes for Spitfires,  the ones I got were not metallic and
actually looked rather cheap.
Any input would be great.

Patrick Bowen
'79 Spit