Re: tonneau

To: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Subject: Re: tonneau
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 1998 19:25:30 -0700
Andy,
Thanks, I had thought that I was imagining things.  I was under the
impression that the early three piece dashes were made from plywood with
the vinyl covering.  When someone recently told me their MkIV was solid
plastic, I thought I must have been mistaken.  That must be why I have
seen so many of the Mk3's with the "Wood" dashes.  It's easy to apply a
veneer to the plywood substrate.

Joe

Andrew Mace wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Jun 1998 jak0pab@jak10.med.navy.mil wrote:
>
> > Sam,
> >
> > Plastic dashes were an option (fairly unpopular, I haven't seen any, I
> > think the factory ones were actually vinyl covered) on early '70 Sptifires
> > and GT-6's, but they are very popular home retrofits.
>
> >From what I have observed over the years, the 1969 model-year "Federal"
> Spitfires introduced the black dash with black-rimmed gauges, the tach and
> speedo being placed in front of the driver. For 1969 and, I think, at
> least part-way through the 1970 model year, these "Federal" dashes were
> plywood with a hard vinyl covering. By the 1971 Mk.IV (if not before) the
> material changed to a plastic with the "vinyl grain" molded in.
>
> --Andy

> * Andrew Mace, President and                *
> *   10/Herald/Vitesse (Sports 6) Consultant *
> * Vintage Triumph Register                  *
> * amace@unix2.nysed.gov                     *

 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer