Re: [Shop-talk] Cutting canvas rolls?

To: Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Cutting canvas rolls?
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2023 21:41:53 -0500
Cc: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>

> On Jun 14, 2023, at 17:33, Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org> wrote:
>
> I have a friend who has 3 12" diameter rolls of coated canvas she needs to
> cut into smaller lengths. They tried hand cutting with a toothed blade but
> the teeth get caught in the canvas threads and tear it. I have a sawzall but
> I don't know if the blade speed will be fast enough to overcome the pull of
> the threads. Is there a non-toothed way to cut this? The rolls are 12 feet
> long now and quite heavy, 2-3 people to lift, so a floor solution would be
> best.

I have two suggestions: first, sell it, and buy something suitable. Second,
there are industrial converters who have the equipment to unroll it, slit to
width, and roll it back up. This is a fair lâ??y common need, but the sewn
product industry in the US is pretty dead, so unless youâ??re in ny or LA,
thereâ??s unlikely to be something local.

  Trying to do this with a saw will be a disaster.