Re: [Shop-talk] Perfect "Granny" find

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Perfect "Granny" find
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2023 09:19:35 -0800

--------------RmhIQu8ZgTHrnOXdN2idlaHi

I have a '96 Ranger that doesn't get driven regularly. The rotors always
'flash rust' between uses and are grabby for the first couple
applications, then they work fine. Rust will (maybe) cause the pads to
wear a little quicker, but I'd let the new owner deal with it.

On 2/12/2023 8:26 AM, eric@megageek.com wrote:
> You always hear stories about the low milage cars that a grandma owned
> and never drove.  Well, I stumbled into one.
>
> Now, it's not a LBC, so don't get too excited.  But I got it at a rock
> bottom price and intent to clean and sell.
>
> The vehicle is a 2017 Land Rover Discovery with only 7000 miles on it
>  (that's right, 7K!)
>
> I think I can almost triple my money (I paid full asking price, and I
> have to get it out of the driveway, which was no small feat!)
>
> I was worried about the typical mouse damage, but I found the car
> through a local cat rescue that has trapped, fixed, and adopted out
> over 30 cats from the property and there are still more there.  So I
> don't think a mouse ever got CLOSE to this car.
>
> It was outside, so the exterior needs a deep cleaning, but the inside
> is SHOWROOM!  So far, a cursory cleaning and it is almost brand new
> looking all the way around.
>
> Of course the cats got under the hood and ripped up the firewall
> insulation and made a mess, but no problems with wires or anything.
>
> My question are...
> 1- of course the rotor and brakes are pretty surface rusted.  I got
> the car driving and the brakes work, but is it worth it to replace the
> pads (that are nearly brand new) and rotors?  Or can I do something
> different?
>
> Can I just remove and lightly sand all surfaces (pads and rotors?)
>
> 2-Of course I'm going through this with a fine comb, but is there
> anything else I should look out for?  I'm doing filters and fluids.  I
> already installed the new battery.
>
> 3- Is there a way to 'temporary' insure and registrar a vehicle to
> just move it to a car wash and gas station?  Something like dealer
> plates, but for a limit, one time use?
>
> Finally, anyone in the market for a cherry 2017 Discovery (White)  8>)
>
> Moose

--------------RmhIQu8ZgTHrnOXdN2idlaHi

  <head>
  </head>
    I have a '96 Ranger that doesn't get driven regularly. The rotors
    always 'flash rust' between uses and are grabby for the first couple
    applications, then they work fine. Rust will (maybe) cause the pads
    to wear a little quicker, but I'd let the new owner deal with it.<br>
class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:eric@megageek.com";>eric@megageek.com</a>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:OF164BE7FA.C9C4B3FF-ON85258954.00593EB5-85258954.005A4F25@mail.megageek.com">
        hear stories
        about the low milage cars that a grandma owned and never drove.
         Well,
        I stumbled into one.</span>
        a LBC, so don't get too excited.  But I got it at a rock bottom
        price
        and intent to clean and sell.</span>
        is
        a 2017 Land Rover Discovery with only 7000 miles on it  (that's
        right,
        7K!)</span>
        almost triple my money (I paid full asking price, and I have to
        get it
        out of the driveway, which was no small feat!)</span>
        about the typical mouse damage, but I found the car through a
        local cat
        rescue that has trapped, fixed, and adopted out over 30 cats
        from the property
        and there are still more there.  So I don't think a mouse ever
        got
        CLOSE to this car.</span>
        outside,
        so the exterior needs a deep cleaning, but the inside is
        SHOWROOM!  So
        far, a cursory cleaning and it is almost brand new looking all
        the way
        around. </span>
        cats got under the hood and ripped up the firewall insulation
        and made
        a mess, but no problems with wires or anything.</span>
        are...</span>
        the
        rotor and brakes are pretty surface rusted.  I got the car
        driving
        and the brakes work, but is it worth it to replace the pads
        (that are nearly
        brand new) and rotors?  Or can I do something different?</span>
        remove
        and lightly sand all surfaces (pads and rotors?)</span>
        I'm
        going through this with a fine comb, but is there anything else
        I should
        look out for?  I'm doing filters and fluids.  I already
        installed
        the new battery.</span>
        way to 'temporary' insure and registrar a vehicle to just move
        it to a
        car wash and gas station?  Something like dealer plates, but for
        limit, one time use?</span>
        anyone
        in the market for a cherry 2017 Discovery (White)  8&gt;)</span>

--------------RmhIQu8ZgTHrnOXdN2idlaHi--

--===============5803544706053136703==

--===============5803544706053136703==--