Re: [Shop-talk] Coast in Neutral -the next great debate- one final thoug

Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Coast in Neutral -the next great debate- one final thought
From: Jeff Scarbrough <fishplate@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2022 15:20:04 -0500
Cc: "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>

--000000000000ebfb1e05efcf767d

Many hybrid vehicles do use regenerative braking, but remember that using
the electric motor as a generator puts a load on the drive system analogous
to otto-cycle engine braking.  So it's not the same as coasting in neutral.

We had an early hybrid Ford Focus in our work fleet.  The braking system
had a built-in computer to decide the best (of three) methods of slowing
the vehicle when it sensed pressure on the brake pedal.  Here's an article
about just how much goes on between your foot and the wheels:.
https://www.underhoodservice.com/tech-feature-ford-hybrid-braking/

On Wed, Dec 14, 2022, 14:47 John Miller <jem@milleredp.com> wrote:

> > vehicle enforcement cars (aka Diesel cops)
>
> Now if the officers so positioned are lesbians...never mind.
>
> A diesel without a Jake or other compression assistance might sound
> different but won't make much engine braking.
>
> An Otto might not sound much different but the braking difference in or
> out of gear will be significant.
>
> The whole 'coasting in neutral' thing mattered maybe back in a day when
> brakes were FAR poorer than the modern norm.  Wouldn't be surprised to
> find many modern hybrids effectively shut off the engine and just use
> all that downhill for regen.
>
> The Aisin/Toyota/Ford FWD hybrid transaxle design is so beautifully
> simple...as long as the electronics work.  I think every Ford C-Max in
> the country migrated to California as soon as gas hit $4.50.  Love to
> find one...
>
> John.

--000000000000ebfb1e05efcf767d

ember that using the electric motor as a generator puts a load on the drive=
 system analogous to otto-cycle engine braking.=C2=A0 So it&#39;s not the s=
 had an early hybrid Ford Focus in our work fleet.=C2=A0 The braking system=
 had a built-in computer to decide the best (of three) methods of slowing t=
he vehicle when it sensed pressure on the brake pedal.=C2=A0 Here&#39;s an =
article about just how much goes on between your foot and the wheels:. <a h=
ref=3D"https://www.underhoodservice.com/tech-feature-ford-hybrid-braking/";>=
https://www.underhoodservice.com/tech-feature-ford-hybrid-braking/</a></div=
>On Wed, Dec 14, 2022, 14:47 John Miller &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:jem@millered=
_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:=
1ex">&gt; vehicle enforcement cars (aka Diesel cops) <br>
Now if the officers so positioned are lesbians...never mind.<br>
A diesel without a Jake or other compression assistance might sound <br>
different but won&#39;t make much engine braking.<br>
An Otto might not sound much different but the braking difference in or <br=

out of gear will be significant.<br>
The whole &#39;coasting in neutral&#39; thing mattered maybe back in a day =
when <br>
brakes were FAR poorer than the modern norm.=C2=A0 Wouldn&#39;t be surprise=
d to <br>
find many modern hybrids effectively shut off the engine and just use <br>
all that downhill for regen.<br>
The Aisin/Toyota/Ford FWD hybrid transaxle design is so beautifully <br>
simple...as long as the electronics work.=C2=A0 I think every Ford C-Max in=
the country migrated to California as soon as gas hit $4.50.=C2=A0 Love to =
find one...<br>
John.<br>
rrer">Shop-talk@autox.team.net</a><br>
errer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>