Re: [Shop-talk] Smoke gun for septic vent leak?

To: Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org>, shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Smoke gun for septic vent leak?
From: Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2022 14:03:13 -0800
For a bathroom renovation, I had to prove that all the new plumbing was
airtight.  The plumber put an inflatable plug in the cleanout where the
new drain joined the old and a cap with a hose connection on a
convenient pipe - the toilet drain.

I filled the pipe with water until in came out the roof vent to show
there were no leaks as all pipes were exposed.  When the inspector was
checking two hours later, it helped that water came out the roof pipe
within seconds.

Example plugs:
https://www.mcmaster.com/drain-pipe-plugs/air-and-water-inflatable-plugs-for-y-joints/
https://www.mcmaster.com/drain-pipe-plugs/air-inflatable-plugs-with-bypass/

This option would only work if you capped all the drains and had the
pipes exposed.

Have you considered a clog in the vent side?  Maybe a bird tried to
build a nest in the vent at the roof?

You might also want to consider an endoscope like
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07M5NJ4M8/ (this no longer
available, but it is what I have).  Here are that brand's current products
https://smile.amazon.com/stores/page/369BBAA9-2EA4-45D3-B9E8-1A06EBB649C4

These are handy.  I don't recommend one over about 20 feet.  That is
about the max length I could push through a A/C duct before it twisted
too much.  You could feed the scope down the vent from the roof or a
higher drain and look for anything obvious.  You can also feed it into
the wall at an outlet box or light switch (outside the box, but under
the face plate) if one happens to be in the stud bay with the vent/

Brian