[Shop-talk] What's the deal with impact torx sockets?

To: Shop-talk@autox.team.net type=4; name=$KeepSent
Subject: [Shop-talk] What's the deal with impact torx sockets?
From: eric@megageek.com
Date: Sun, 30 May 2021 07:17:39 -0400 05/30/2021 07:17:45 AM, Serialize complete at 05/30/2021 07:17:45 AM
--===============6783495114901298635==

--=_alternative 003E0B3C852586E5_=

OK, first, WHY DO THEY USE TORX IN HIGH TORQUE APPLICATIONS?

These are the WORST fasteners I have ever used. (less flat blade
screwdrivers.)

Then, if they are going to use them, why can't they make a Torx impact
socket set that doesn't twist and brake the first time you use it?

OK, with that off my chest...

What is the THE BRAND/SET of torx impact sockets that I can rely on?  At
this point, price isn't really an issue.  I just want a set that I can use
in an impact gun and remove a bolt without breaking every time.  I would
want a complete set of sizes, but it seems that I always break the T40
first (it seems to be the most common size.)

FWIW, my first real injury while turning wrenches was with a Torx over 25
years ago.  I was trying to remove a brake component off of a Lumina and
the bit broke, and the wrench chipped my tooth.

TO THIS DAY, whenever I have to reach for a torx socket, I still taste
that broken tooth!  And, I have not found a set of torx that are worth a
darn.

So, please help me.  What set do I need?

Thanks.

Moose.
--=_alternative 003E0B3C852586E5_=

TORQUE APPLICATIONS?</font>
ever used. (less flat blade screwdrivers.)</font>
why can't they make a Torx impact socket set that doesn't twist and brake
the first time you use it?</font>
sockets that I can rely on? &nbsp;At this point, price isn't really an
issue. &nbsp;I just want a set that I can use in an impact gun and remove
a bolt without breaking every time. &nbsp;I would want a complete set of
sizes, but it seems that I always break the T40 first (it seems to be the
most common size.)</font>
wrenches was with a Torx over 25 years ago. &nbsp;I was trying to remove
a brake component off of a Lumina and the bit broke, and the wrench chipped
my tooth.</font>
for a torx socket, I still taste that broken tooth! &nbsp;And, I have not
found a set of torx that are worth a darn.</font>
I need?</font>

--===============6783495114901298635==--