Re: [Shop-talk] Drilling a hole in aluminum oil pan

To: Shop-Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Drilling a hole in aluminum oil pan
From: Ronnie Day <ronnie.day@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Oct 2020 11:36:46 -0500

--00000000000031447905b0c6dd68

IMO, the risks definitely aren't worth the time save! Do it the smart, safe
way, pull the pan!

On Sat, Oct 3, 2020 at 11:21 AM Donald H Locker <dhlocker@comcast.net>
wrote:

> I agree with what Bob said.
>
> Engine's on a stand, so it is accessible. And it sounds like the
> alternative you've conceived is far more complex than dropping the pan.
> Ask yourself what you'd do if you were the machine shop you trusted with
> that sweet lump.
>
> Donald.
>
> *Plain Text* email -- it's an accessibility issue
> () no proprietary attachments; no html mail
> /\ <https://www.georgedillon.com/web/html_email_is_evil.shtml>
>
> On 2020-10-03 11:56 a.m., Miq Millman wrote:
> > Here's what I want to do:
> >
> > Drill a 23/32' hole in the side of the oil pan for the (1/2 NPT-AN10
> > steel braided line that allows the oil from the turbo back into the
> > block.  I have the NPT tap ready.
> >
> > Here are the complications:
> >
> > 1) pan is bolted and sealed to the block -- I would rather not remove it
> > 2) oil pan is aluminum not steel
> > 3) there is already a threaded hole for 3/8 NPT
> > 4) engine is newly built long block, with most of the ancillaries still
> > to be attached, on an engine stand.
> > 5) there is an additional hole on the opposite side of the pan for an
> > oil temp sensor
> >
> > Here is what I am thinking:
> >
> > 1) coat the drill bit in some red grease to collect aluminum shavings
> > 2) seal off water and vacuum passages with tape
> > 3) set air compressor to something very low, like 20 psi, and thread
> > into the oil sensor hole (1/8 NPT)
> > 4) fabricobble up a reduced hose to the shop vac line and point that at
> > the drilling point
> > 5) drill in short bursts, possibly cleaning the bit and grease each
> > time, and reapplying grease
> > 6) after I tap the hole (also a challenge due to the length of the tap
> > and the baffle inside the pan) dump 5-6 quarts of the cheapest 10 w oil
> > at the FLAPS and kind of "slosh" it around by slightly rotating the
> > engine on the stand, drain and repeat again
> > 7) check second pot of drained oil for metal shavings, if found try gas
> > or diesel followed by 3rd round of cheap oil flush
> >
> > Open to options and opinions.  Including telling me not to be an idiot
> > with my $8000 engine and just pull the pan.
> >
> > --
> > __
> > Tualatin, OR  Big Llama Productions

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/dhlocker@comcast.net

--00000000000031447905b0c6dd68

Do it the smart, safe way, pull the pan!</div><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote=
"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Sat, Oct 3, 2020 at 11:21 AM Don=
ald H Locker &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:dhlocker@comcast.net";>dhlocker@comcast.n=
n:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex=
">I agree with what Bob said.<br>
Engine&#39;s on a stand, so it is accessible. And it sounds like the<br>
alternative you&#39;ve conceived is far more complex than dropping the pan.=
Ask yourself what you&#39;d do if you were the machine shop you trusted wit=
h<br>
that sweet lump.<br>
Donald.<br>
*Plain Text* email -- it&#39;s an accessibility issue<br>
() no proprietary attachments; no html mail<br>
/\ &lt;<a href=3D"https://www.georgedillon.com/web/html_email_is_evil.shtml=
" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">https://www.georgedillon.com/web/htm=
l_email_is_evil.shtml</a>&gt;<br>
On 2020-10-03 11:56 a.m., Miq Millman wrote:<br>
&gt; Here&#39;s what I want to do:<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Drill a 23/32&#39; hole in the side of the oil pan for the (1/2 NPT-AN=
10<br>
&gt; steel braided line that allows the oil from the turbo back into the<br=

&gt; block.=C2=A0 I have the NPT tap ready.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Here are the complications:<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; 1) pan is bolted and sealed to the block -- I would rather not remove =
it<br>
&gt; 2) oil pan is aluminum not steel<br>
&gt; 3) there is already a threaded hole for 3/8 NPT<br>
&gt; 4) engine is newly built long block, with most of the ancillaries stil=
l<br>
&gt; to be attached, on an engine stand.<br>
&gt; 5) there is an additional hole on the opposite side of the pan for an<=
br>
&gt; oil temp sensor<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Here is what I am thinking:<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; 1) coat the drill bit in some red grease to collect aluminum shavings<=
br>
&gt; 2) seal off water and vacuum=C2=A0passages with tape<br>
&gt; 3) set air compressor to something very low, like 20 psi, and thread<b=
r>
&gt; into the oil sensor hole (1/8 NPT)<br>
&gt; 4) fabricobble up a reduced hose to the shop vac line and point that a=
t<br>
&gt; the drilling point<br>
&gt; 5) drill in short bursts, possibly cleaning the bit and grease each<br=

&gt; time, and reapplying grease<br>
&gt; 6) after I tap the hole (also a challenge due to the length of the tap=
&gt; and the baffle inside the pan) dump 5-6 quarts of the cheapest 10 w oi=
l<br>
&gt; at the FLAPS and kind of &quot;slosh&quot; it around by slightly rotat=
ing the<br>
&gt; engine on the stand, drain and repeat again<br>
&gt; 7) check second pot of drained oil for metal shavings, if found try ga=
s<br>
&gt; or diesel followed by 3rd round of cheap oil flush<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Open to options and opinions.=C2=A0 Including telling me not to be an =
idiot<br>
&gt; with my $8000 engine and just pull the pan.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; --<br>
&gt; __<br>
&gt; Miq Millman=C2=A0=C2=A0 <a href=3D"mailto:miq@bigllama.com"; target=3D"=
_blank">miq@bigllama.com</a> &lt;mailto:<a href=3D"mailto:miq@bigllama.com"=
 target=3D"_blank">miq@bigllama.com</a>&gt;<br>
&gt; Tualatin, OR=C2=A0 Big Llama Productions<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <a href=3D"mailto:Shop-talk@autox.team.net"; target=3D"_blank">Shop-tal=
k@autox.team.net</a><br>
&gt; Donate: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html"; rel=3D"noreferrer"=
 target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
&gt; Suggested annual donation=C2=A0 $12.96<br>
&gt; Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk"; rel=3D"no=
referrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a> <a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive"; rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank"=
>http://autox.team.net/archive</a><br>