Re: [Shop-talk] Extension cord length vs. wire gauge

To: "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Extension cord length vs. wire gauge
From: Jeff Scarbrough <fishplate@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2018 10:06:15 -0400
On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 7:49 AM Neil Sherry <neiljsherry@talktalk.net> wrote:

> Only issue with the 40W dissipation would be if the cable was still coiled up
> â?? then it would build up, melt the insulation and be a hazard. Over 300
> feet the heat per foot would be negligible

This ^^   40W over 300 feet is 0.13 W/ft.  Probably get hotter lying
in the sun.  But regardless, I always unroll my extension cords fully.

And in my youth, I burned up a rather large, expensive motor by trying
to start it with inadequate current.  It was obvious something was
wrong, but due to inexperience I was oblivious to obvious.

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.