[Shop-talk] Question to ponder- When someone brings their vehicle to you

To: Shop-talk@autox.team.net type=4; name=$KeepSent
Subject: [Shop-talk] Question to ponder- When someone brings their vehicle to your garage, do you do the work or do you let them do it?
From: eric@megageek.com
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2018 10:38:59 -0400 09/20/2018 10:39:00 AM, Serialize complete at 09/20/2018 10:39:00 AM
--===============8071217657838140703==

--=_alternative 0050785B8525830E_=

I just wanted to start a little conversation about a question that bothers
me (albeit very little.)
When someone brings their vehicle to your garage, do you do the work or do
you let them do it?

Here is the context, due to my garage, everyone I offer to help brings
their vehicles to me to fix.  Once there, I do the work for the most part.
 I enjoy doing it, so it's no big deal.

But a few people commented that they expected to do most if not all the
work once there.

I understand that they may enjoy working on the cars as well, but here is
my thought about it...

One, since it's my garage, I know where every tools, part, etc is located.
 I know what I have and don't have.  When doing the work, I know what
equipment I have will work the best for the situation.
Also, I also know where to put everything back when I'm done.

This is the fastest and most effective way to do the work in my opinion.

I realize that this takes away their ability to learn through first hand
experience, but I do include them in the work when possible.

So, what is the proper way to handle this?  Is it a "home rule" thing, or
a should I step aside and let them do all the work?

One more thing, if they are doing the work and break something on their
car that requires a trip to the auto parts store, I now have to drive them
there (this I don't like.)  At least if I break it, I don't mind the trip
as much.

What's your take?

Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.
Tech Viper
Waldo Emerson
--=_alternative 0050785B8525830E_=

about a question that bothers me (albeit very little.)</font>
your garage, do you do the work or do you let them do it?</font>
everyone I offer to help brings their vehicles to me to fix. &nbsp;Once
there, I do the work for the most part. &nbsp;I enjoy doing it, so it's
no big deal.</font>
expected to do most if not all the work once there.</font>
on the cars as well, but here is my thought about it...</font>
every tools, part, etc is located. &nbsp;I know what I have and don't have.
&nbsp;When doing the work, I know what equipment I have will work the best
for the situation.</font>
back when I'm done.</font>
way to do the work in my opinion. </font>
ability to learn through first hand experience, but I do include them in
the work when possible.</font>
this? &nbsp;Is it a &quot;home rule&quot; thing, or a should I step aside
and let them do all the work?</font>
work and break something on their car that requires a trip to the auto
parts store, I now have to drive them there (this I don't like.) &nbsp;At
least if I break it, I don't mind the trip as much.</font>
Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.<br>
Tech Viper<br>
&quot;Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory.&quot; Ralph
Waldo Emerson </font>

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk

--===============8071217657838140703==--