Re: [Shop-talk] State Pumpmate well pressure tanks?

To: Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org>, Shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] State Pumpmate well pressure tanks?
From: Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2016 07:47:28 -0700
Jim - I can't speak to brands, but I don't think a pump should short
cycle in normal use.  I understand you have a bad tank so you likely
already know this, but wanted to make sure as I've had it come up in the
past where a minor adjustment stopped the pump from cycling too often.

My impression that the tank was a buffer for small uses and once a high
demand use started and pressure dropped, the pump came on and stayed on
until that use stopped and the tank recharged.  This was done by setting
the low/high cutoffs on the pump pressure switch.  I would encourage
finding out more about the proper setting of the pump pressure switch.

Note that this is based on 25 year old experience with a lake cottage,
so I've included the list to correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe current
technology or a house with a bigger pump is different.  Again, I know
your main problem was the bad tank, so maybe this is completely
irrelevant to your situation.

Brian