Re: [Shop-talk] Have you built your own house?

To: Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org> t=1469968756; bh=yrDiYof88dZCoPB82CEfs5FJgy3a4hq/Nt//Guxu46o=; h=MIME-version:Content-type:Message-id:From:Subject:Date:To; b=ZrEaqcEk0wovxpqTjkfXC1CPaoZpEuA4KrAgvsjSqeWg7JQ+/6kQXq1/80l/vq2N5 2SIidnqU/+Nk+ALnWqJfcIb9q5UQSrTLbOxzU5+kwvFftHaDQ9y4fvGuJ6YOmztvAl E/weC6zOzWUETg5x3xMRSE90nSKyNaF4/UIamMEpbUf+cVqK7EvVlMnRGv1YR/PIIO V6mH9/R3IdGD+ylM8OF57BfoDRMCnLVH7RLZRm5nf2G/UBUMVQTzdOs5gbxvpK88nI 3muLzLFFbSHEp3vEZTdOxLO02ff8+ZZQGv5auJNyHFqQrIHvmRJGDC/cZoPCPIeNZn fFc0HjsB56ogQ==
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Have you built your own house?
From: Pat Horne <patintexas@icloud.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2016 07:39:13 -0500
Cc: Shop-talk@autox.team.net
Jim,
Building your own house is certainly possible. I've built quite a few as a
house lead working with Habitat for Humanity.  I know that leading a house
construction is different from doing it yourself, but it will give you an idea.
I also built my shop with the help of a couple friends.

There are several things to consider.
How complex is your house? The more complex, the longer it will take to build
it.

How sure you will have the conviction to stick with the project through
completion? The Habitat houses I build take up to 4000 man hours to build for
about 1100 sq.ft.

How are you planning to find the construction? Most banks will not fund a
construction loan only if the project is built by a construction company with
required licenses & insurance.

I'll be glad to discuss any other points you are concerned about.

Peace,
Pat

Pat Horne
We support Caldwell County Habitat for Humanity