[Shop-talk] Welding v. Rivets

To: Shop Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Welding v. Rivets
From: Jim Juhas <james.f.juhas@snet.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2016 18:27:08 -0400
I am replacing the support rails for the bed of my 2007 F250.  (I
thought about a bed replacement but it seems the rails are the only
rotten parts.  NO RUST in the fender wells!)

Once the old rails are removed, my plan was to rosette-weld in the new
ones.  But, I have the ability to use aircraft rivets, probably 3/16"
size.  If I do this, I can seal the entire junction with silicone, as
I've done in my FFR Roadster. Welding will leave a place for corrosion,
but would the exposure be better or worse with the dissimilar metal of
the rivets, aluminum v. steel?