Re: [Shop-talk] Composite Decking

To: Matt <mbarre@juno.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Composite Decking
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 23:13:55 -0500
Cc: shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 1:27 PM, Matt <mbarre@juno.com> wrote:

rs.

>  I have an existing deck on the back of the house that needs attention.  I was
> thinking I would just re-deck with whatever I use on the new construction.
> But it occurred to me that the existing deck is still solid, but no longer
> aesthetically pleasing.   Would simply overlaying the existing deck with new
> WPC decking be a viable option?

Do you mean literally putting new deck boards on the existing boards,
as is done with asphalt shingles?
Or do you mean rip the decking off, and replace it, using the existing
structure?

The first is a bad idea.  The second is potentially okay; it depends
on the structure being in good shape (it often is), and being suitable
for the new material (as others have noted, the composite stuff isn't
as strong, and requires more support), and there not having been some
change in the local code that requires change or replacement.
--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com