Re: [Shop-talk] Composite Decking

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Composite Decking
From: Dave Cavanaugh <cavanadd@frontier.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 20:05:29 -0700
I live in the Pacific Northwest.  At our first house my BIL and I built
a conventional PT/cedar deck. I had to pressure wash it every year and
stain it at least every couple of years, and it still needed major
repairs after 15 years.

About 15 years ago we build our present house.  We had a contractor
install a TimberTech deck and it has been flawless.  I pressure wash it
every couple of years and that's it.  Points to consider:

Yes, you will need to put your joists 12" OC.  The stuff needs much more
support than conventional lumber.
Our deck is screwed together with SS deck screws.  Pre drilling is
mandatory.
The stuff is slick.  There is a learning curve with regards to
crosscuting it with a chop saw.  It wants to move around.  There was a
lot of cursing on the contractor's part during assembly of the fiddly bits.
Sorry; I don't have any ideas regarding over decking.