Re: [Shop-talk] Computer sound problem

To: Dave Cavanaugh <cavanadd@frontier.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Computer sound problem
From: Marcus Pless <mpless@ucsd.edu>
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2014 20:48:16 -0700
Cc: "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
It's possible that it's a Windows problem. To  confirm one way or the other
you can boot from a Linux "live CD" (I use knoppix but there are others, just
google "Linux live CD") and see if you have sound. The general idea is to
download a Linux live CD ISO image, burn it to a CD or DVD, and boot from it,
without touching your Windows installation.

--Marcus

Sent from my phone

> On Jun 6, 2014, at 7:03 PM, Dave Cavanaugh <cavanadd@frontier.com> wrote:
>
> Last year I assembled a budget tower system from Newegg to replace an aging
HP system with a bad HDD.  I would provide a link to the motherboard but for
some reason Newegg won't let me see my 2013 order history.  It will show 2012
and 14 just fine but not 2013...

> Anyway, the sound quit.  The little speaker icon in the lower right hand
corner of the screen (Win 7) has a red and white x on it and when you put the
mouse pointer it says the headphones or speakers are not plugged in, which
they are.  I have tried two different sets of speakers through both the front
and rear jacks.  I even bought a little USB dongle with speaker and mic jacks
on the front, but that doesn't work, either.  Should I get a cheap sound card
and try that?  Any other suggestions?  This is an inexpensive motherboard with
all the sound, video, etc, all on the main board.  This is the first time I
have messed around with computer guts since the old XT/AT days when you got
add-on cards for just about everything.

> Another feature is an annoying scan line that goes up across the display
about every two seconds or so.  It's not real obvious, but annoying.

> And no, I can't find the documentation from the computer stuff. Only that it
was some kind of AMD quad core processor.  I can find ALL of the documentation
for the Seequa Chameleon I bought in 1982, but not for the computer I bought
last year...