Re: [Shop-talk] Oven problem

To: eric@megageek.com
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Oven problem
From: Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 19:14:30 -0700
Cc: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Eric - An oven when off and cold shouldn't make any sounds.  Many will
have a fan that runs when it is on to circulate air around it and keep
the outside cool.  The fan will keep running after the oven is turned
off until it is cool enough to safely turn off and not start a cabinet
on fire.

Bake is the lower element only and controlled by the temperature you
select.  I have not powder coated, but I expect this is the setting you
will use as it is the most controlled.

Broil is the upper element to provide direct heat.  You normally use
broil to cook something really hot and close (top rack).  Broil doesn't
have a temperature control.

If there is a preheat setting, it runs both burners to heat the oven
faster the switches to the lower burner once it reaches the preset temp.

Since there is something questionable about the oven, for safety, I'd
make sure it is disconnected from power when not in use.  Either unplug
it or if hardwired, get a disconnect like you might use for an outside
AC unit and switch off the oven power when not in use.

Brian