Re: [Shop-talk] slow disposal drain

To: Tim <tputland@charter.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] slow disposal drain
From: Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 16:16:20 -0700
Cc: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Tim - I had a disposer where the drain hose got clogged.  I also had a
case where the trap under the sink was very restricted with gunk. I'd
try a sink full of hot water first as was already recommended then if
that didn't work, go under the sink and check the drain pipe that is
easy to get access.

When I moved into my current house, I had to replace about 30 feet of
cast iron drain pipe.  It was clogged almost solid, but rotted through
at the bottom.  The plumber replacing the pipe (home warranty from the
seller) said this is why he loves drain cleaners. Rather than just
running a snake, he gets to charge a day or two of labor and put in new
pipe.  I don't know how true that is with other types of pipe, but I
minimize my use of drain cleaner.

Brian