Re: [Shop-talk] clone HDD

To: Dave C <cavanadd@frontier.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] clone HDD
From: Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 16:08:23 -0700
Cc: 'Shop Talk' <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Dave - Go to the manufacture's web site for your new drive if it didn't
come with software.  Cloning is a common action when people get new
drives, so the manufactures make it easy.  They will tell you how to
connect both drives, setup the new one, and make the clone, then you can
remove the old one and save it as a backup.

I'd recommend your second option if everything is good with the existing
drive other than free space.  A sysadmin years ago recommended keeping
data separate from the OS and I've been doing it since.  I have three
drives.  One is Windoze and programs, one is pictures and other data
files I create, and the third is TV programs (my computer serves as my
DVR).  This cuts down usage on my data drive and lets me do focused
backups on the most important files.  I seem to loose a drive about
every 10 years and this has worked out well for making recovery easier.

Brian