Re: [Shop-talk] Identifying taper and threading attachments on a

To: "Joe Szwed" <jszwed@energykinetics.com>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Identifying taper and threading attachments on a
From: "Arvid Jedlicka" <arvidj@visi.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 12:21:38 -0500
Joe,

Just curious ... you just don't cut threads and tapers any more or have
converted the lathe to CNC and just let the machine does it all?

Scott,

For threading, you might want to check out an example of what might be
needed on page 16 - 19 in this manual
http://cdn0.grizzly.com/manuals/g4003_m.pdf. You can see the threading dial
that Joe mentions plus the lever to engage the half nut. You will also see
that -- for this lathe and many others -- that there might be gear changes
to cut certain thread pitches. You will want to make sure your lathe comes
with the appropriate gears for the threads you want to create. For a used
lathe the gears may be in a cardboard box on the floor near by the lathe or
gone walk-about.

Arvid