Re: [Shop-talk] Identifying taper and threading attachments on a

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Identifying taper and threading attachments on a
From: "Joe Szwed" <jszwed@energykinetics.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 09:28:59 -0400
For cutting threads the lathe will need a threading dial.  These are
typically mounted on the right hand side of the carriage apron. Some are
built in, some pivot on a bolt so you can disengage them when not in use.
The dial is numbered 1-4 with dashes in-between.

A taper attachment is mounted on the back of the carriage.  It has a guide
bar that pivots so you can set your taper.  It is a noticeable appendage
sticking out back there, so I think you would see it in a picture.  To use
it, the cross feed is disconnected, the clamp on taper attachment is
tightened so it locks it to the bed. So that when the carriage is moved, the
cross feed follows the taper set on the guide bar.  The arm that you clamp
is typically disconnected and left hanging out of the way near the back of
the bed.  I mention this cause I think you want to make sure that it is not
missing.

I hope this helps, I haven't cut threads or used a taper attachment in many,
many years so I am going from memory here.

Joe

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums