[Shop-talk] Filling large gaps in wood?

Subject: [Shop-talk] Filling large gaps in wood?
From: jamesf at groupwbench.org (Jim Franklin)
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 09:03:37 -0400
THat's great to know, I will likely go with that. Thanks!

As for the rest of the responses, clearly I did a horrible job of explaining
the issue :-)

Here's someone else's basement and what I'm trying to accomplish on a 100 year
old house:
http://s110.photobucket.com/albums/n115/rabbit_016/?action=view&current=IMG_0
626.jpg

In more detail, the basement wall is cinder block, and the windows are
recessed against the outside. I framed the basement walls with sleepers,
including framing around the window recesses. Then I built plywood boxes that
slid into that window framing. Due to the wavy nature of the wall, the boxes
would rarely sit flush against both the window and the wall framing. When I
had to choose, I chose having them flush against the window.

Then I sheetrocked the framing, and added 1x3 casing around the window
openings. It's this casing that doesn't always meet the butt end of the
plywood box. So the gap is between two wood surfaces, perpendicular to each
other.

If I can get away with using drywall compound, I'd love it as I still have
4.95 gallons left. But I figured I needed something less prone to cracking.
Plus we have rain moving in, and in a basement, a 1/2" gob of that, even the
setting-type, will take a week to dry.

thanks,
jim

On Jun 21, 2011, at 10:16 PM, Darrell Walker wrote:

> Hi Jim,
>
> Minwax makes a two-part wood filler that appears to be pretty much the same
thing as Bondo:

http://www.amazon.com/Minwax-High-Performance-Filler-12-Ounce-21600/dp/B000BQ
L0WA

> But it sort of wood colored.  It sets up pretty fast (especially if you
overdo the hardener), sticks really well, and can be worked with wood tools
after setting up.