Re: [Shop-talk] Filling large gaps in wood?

To: <jamesf@groupwbench.org>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Filling large gaps in wood?
From: Jim Stone <jandkstone99@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 21:54:14 -0500
> If I can get away with using drywall compound, I'd love it as I still have
> 4.95 gallons left. But I figured I needed something less prone to cracking.
> Plus we have rain moving in, and in a basement, a 1/2" gob of that, even
the
> setting-type, will take a week to dry.

If moisture isn't an issue in the area, I am a big fan of Quick Fill
(http://www.wel-cote.com/psshtm/quick%20fill.htm).  You can trowel on thick
layers  (close to an inch is not a problem) and it still dries quickly and
without cracking.  Once dry, it is very strong and seems to have very good
adhesive properties.  I have used it to repair plaster, drywall, wood and
other surfaces and never had it fail on me.  I tend to move every 5 years or
so, but used it at a friend's house around 10 years ago and that patch is
still solid.  While is can be smoothed when almost dry with a sponge, it will
still be too rough for paint.  It doesn't sand well so I build it up to very
close to the finish surface, then use a light skim coat of joint compound or
similar.  I don't know if this actually helps, but I generally score the final
coat of Quick Fill with the edge of a putty knife to give the joint compound
something to bite into.

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums