Re: [Shop-talk] Pulsing brakes

To: Mark Andy <marka@maracing.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Pulsing brakes
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 21:19:00 -0500
On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 9:56 AM, Mark Andy <marka@maracing.com> wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> This doesn't address the "downhill" part. B That seems pretty crazy.
>
> That said... When you replace your pads / rotors, tighten the rotor to the
> hub and check the hub itself for both runout and play. B We recently had an
> '06 Civic that either had its hub bent during a wheel bearing replacement
or
> via a pothole and it wasn't obvious what was wrong until someone made that
> very simple check.
>
> You don't even have to have real tools to do this, thought it obviously
> wouldn't hurt. B Just tighten the rotor to the hub and rig up an indicator
> out of anything that's sitting on the ground with a part close to the edge
> of the rotor and spin the rotor. B Your eye will do a good job of seeing
very
> small runout like this, or you can get it close enough that it'll scrape on
> the high points.
>
> A good shoptalk lister would use this as a reason to go buy a magnetic base
> / flexible arm / dial indicator though. B :-)

I'm pretty sure the specification for rotor runout for this car is
with the rotor mounted to the hub.  In any event, you're quite right
that this is something to look for.  It's not usual for rotating the
rotor relative to the hub to change the runout, either.

I'd also be  very suspious of your wheel bearings, and also check all
of the steering and suspension components.

I don't get the downhill part at all.  Braking puts more of the
vehicle's weight to the front wheels than any reasonable hill does.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums