[Shop-talk] OT - Dave Despain 0n Assignment - Shelby

To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>, Shop Talk List
Subject: [Shop-talk] OT - Dave Despain 0n Assignment - Shelby
From: Ronnie Day <ronnie.day@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 19:37:07 -0500
For the past few months SpeedTV has aired a series of "Dave Despain on
Assignment" programs, mostly centered around NASCAR. Even though I'm solidly
of the Right & Left turn persuasion, the programs have been very interesting
and very well produced. The latest in the series highlights Carroll Shelby
and it is excellent. I'll admit to a bit of prejudice because Pete Brock
(Brock Racing Enterprises) is prominently featured in the show as the
designer of the Cobra Daytona Coupe (in case anyone didn't already know
that!).

My wife and I have played with vintage Datsuns since they weren't vintage,
buying our first (a 2000 Roadster) new in '70. We soon bought a '71 510 to
accommodate our growing family. I actually bought a suspension setup  for
the 510 from Pete in January '73 while on my way to NorCal to catch a flight
to my new Air Force assignment at Hickam AFB. A little over a year ago I
spent most of a week with the Brocks and many of the BRE team members at
Road Atlanta during the 2010 edition Mitty Classic, shooting stills and
video for a yet to be released BRE DVD. We currently have a '70 2000 (for
sale, in case anyone's interested) and a pair of 510 2 door sedans (in
storage).

The Despain program is scheduled to air again, Friday, June 24 @ noon (CDT)

--
Ron